HAVE FUN, meet new people, and share your aviation know-how while supporting the all new NextGen Aviation Camp! The Alaska Airmen's Association needs your help with set-up, cleanup, and parking; greeting guests as they arrive; leading aviation STEM activities; accompanying campers on a tour; AND MORE!
**Volunteers will be provided a sack lunch**
Saturday August 7th
9:30AM - 10:00 AM
Check-in and drop off: Parents and guardians will arrive, check-in with volunteers, and drop off their child. A parent or legal guardian is required to sign a waiver.
10:00AM - 11:30AM
Museum Tour: campers will be split into two groups to tour the Alaska Aviation Museum with museum staff. Volunteers will chaperone youth, while a museum docent leads the tour.
11:30PM - 12:30PM
Lunch. Volunteers will support lunch delivery to youth. A sack lunch will be provided for volunteers as well.
12:30PM - 4:00PM
Aviation STEM activity stations. Volunteers will lead 20-30-minute stations focusing on one of the following areas:
- Glider building - kids craft gliders with control surfaces from Styrofoam plates.
- Aviation game show - kids play a Jeopardy-like aviation trivia game.
- Forces of flight - kids learn how engines power aircraft.
- Egg drop - kids fashion a parachute for an egg, then drop them from height to learn about aerodynamics.
- Learn to wrench - kids learn to rivet sheet metal and to use a drill press to fashion sparkplug keychains.
- Build and launch a rocket - kids build and launch pneumatic-powered rockets.
- Pre-flight - a pilot teaches kids how to pre-flight a single-engine aircraft. Kids learn about different parts of an airplane.
- Air Traffic Control - kids learn how Air Traffic Controllers keep planes from colliding on the ground and in the air. They get to practice in the old ATC tower.
4:00PM - 4:30PM
Parents arrive to pick up their kids. Volunteers sign kids out, while other volunteers mingle with kids.
4:30PM - 5:00PM
Volunteers break down the event and return the facility to its original condition.
How to Sign Up
Click here to sign up.
You can also call us at 907-245-1251. We'll answer any questions you have and get you signed up.